Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Valentines Hand Print Tin


I try to recycle and find new uses for various things we end up with around the house.  For instance we have a plethora of candy tins from Valentine’s day, Christmas and Easter. I recently kept a heart shaped candy tin my husband gave me in hopes that I would find a new use for it. Three months later, I did! I used Plaster of Paris and mixed it with water in a bowl until it was a cake batter consistency and all the lumps were out. I poured it evenly into the candy tin and tapped it on the counter to bring all the air bubbles to the surface. I let it set for 5-7 minutes so some of the water would evaporate letting the plaster set-up. Then my daughter Sophi placed her hands carefully in the plaster and I pressed each finger firmly in the tin. To add a little extra pizzazz I used red food coloring while the plaster was still wet and dripped a few drops of it in random places to look like flowers. I wrote her name and date in the corner with a toothpick and let it dry over night. Voila! The perfect gift for Daddy!

Happy Crafting, 

Paula

No comments:

Post a Comment